One of the main goals of USPS is “boating safety through education” — we believe that an educated boater is a safer boater. In addition to a public education program, USPS teaches a series of outstanding courses that cover advanced seamanship, navigational techniques, and boat handling, maintenance, and enhancement topics.
America’s Boating Course
If you are interested in an exciting, in-depth boating safety course, check out America’s Boating Course.
Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete America’s Boating Course. And, this beginner boating class will give you the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states.
For Boating Course Information Please Contact:
Advanced Grade Courses
Five Advanced Grade courses are offered by USPS. They are designed to be taken in sequence because each builds on skills taught in the previous course.
- Seamanship covers anchoring and rafting, basic boat care and maintenance.
- Piloting covers chart reading, course plotting, and basic coastal or inland navigation.
- Advanced Piloting covers more advanced coastal navigation techniques.
- Junior Navigation teaches the basics of offshore navigation.
- Navigation is the most advanced navigation course taught by USPS.
Elective Courses in six area are offered by USPS. They cover separate and independent topics and therefore may be taken in any order according to a person’s interests and time.
- Engine Maintenance covers the operating principles and basic care and maintenance.
- Marine Electronics covers installation and maintenance of electrical systems and electronics.
- Cruise Planning covers topics of interest for someone planning a cruise.
- Weather covers weather systems, patterns and forecasting.
- Sail covers the basic elements of how a sailboat works, sail trim, rig tuning, and sailboat racing.
- Instructor Development teaches effective communication skills.
If one or more of these courses interest you, locate a course in your area. If you’re a USPS member, contact your Squadron Educational Officer and take a course at your squadron rate. We hope to see you soon!
USPS University is here with new programs targeted to a range of boaters and types of boating. The hallmark of this concept is the Seminar Series. These short seminars are targeted to specific topics and needs, and include valuable take-away guides. Each seminar provides credits toward the Boat Operator Certification program, and credit toward elective courses.
These seminars are available now.
- Advanced Powerboat Handling
- Basic Coastal Navigation
- Basic Weather and Forecasting
- Boat Handling under Power
- Boating on Rivers, Locks and Lakes
- Crossing Borders
- Emergencies on Board
- Fuel and Boating
- How to Use a Chart
- Hurricanes and Boats
- Knots, Bends and Hitches
- Man Overboard
- Marine RADAR
- Mariner’s Compass
- Mastering the Rules of the Road
- Paddle Smart
- Partner in Command
- Practical On The Water Training
- Sail Trim and Rig Tuning
- Tides and Currents
- Trailering Your Boat
- Using GPS
- Using VHF & VHF/DSC Marine
Several more seminars are nearing completion and will be available soon, such as Knots for Mariners,Using Digital Charts, and Heavy Weather Sailing. Locate a Seminar near you.
District 3 Squadron Education Officers believe:
EDUCATION IS THE OF USPS!
courtesy- D/Lt/C Nina P. Anastasio, SN